Mobile Design: 10 criteria for your mobile strategy
The future is mobile! Everything we do, we organize, we search, we play, we work at, we communicate…. everything will be done mobile! If you plan to make a mobile version of your website or have a mobile strategy, please consider these criteria and learn to avoid mistakes.
Double rethink the context of mobile devices!!
What are you usally doing with your mobile? When your speak of mobile devices, try to really think so. As long as you keep thinking of your project as a mobile version of your website, you will fail to gain users. They sit in meetings, lifts, walk to school, wait at bus stations, drive with their car… they are mobile. That means that you should to take a look at the following
- Bandwidth: Users mostly pay for KB and have data flatrates! Dismiss everything which isn’t needed!
- Screensize: Put your thumb in your display and measure the size of the mobile screen. Frightening, isn’t it?
- Distance to Screen: Have you tried to find something on a little screen 2 meters away?
- Mobile is cheap: BlackBerry, iPhone and Co are still premium products.
- Surroundings: To understand a sound or voise you probably have to have your ear very close to the mobile and loos visual contact to the screen.
- Weather: Do you have one of these notebooks which you can use as a mirror? The sun and other light objects will make your mobile design hard to see. Use big contrasts of colors and big font-sizes!
- Limited data input: Have you tried to fill out an contactform with your mobile? Offer different possibilities for mobile users.
- Mobile context: Again what are mobiles made for originally? To phone! Link phone numbers with special XHTML-Tags (href=tel:number), so that the mobile will instantly beginn to dial when clicking on the number. Nothing is more painful to write the number on a sheet of paper and retype it in your mobile.
- Pagesize: Limit your webpage not more than 20 KB including all images! Abandon all images you not nessesarily need!
- Technology: WML is out. It was made for Mobile 1.0! Use XHTML for Mobile 2.0 strategies.
You should test your mobile project in a real environment. There are a lot emulators for doing this. Since there are hundreds of mobile devices out there, you should at least test it in 10 to 15 real mobiles! Use it in the restaurant, parks and subways! After that you will make your project more successful than you have thought. Keep us up to date with your ideas!
Share the loveBTW: Good Quality Brochures Online Color Printing at PsPrint.
Spread this KnowTeDigg Del.icio.us Stumble Facebook Float Technorati Bump
WP Cumulus Flash tag cloud by Roy Tanck requires Flash Player 7 or better.
- iPhone App for Designer: Proportions Calculator by Erik
- Social Media: How to Create Automatic If This Then That Tasks
- UI Inspiration: A Showcase of Beautiful User Interfaces
- 10 Awesome And Creative Google+ Brand Pages
- Go Google: Socialize Your WordPress Blog without Using Plugins
- Seven Big Mistakes Of A Twitter Addict
- Combine Wordpress, PHPBB and 4Images together without multiple user-registrations
- 100+ Brilliant Free Go Green Eco Friendly Vector Graphics and Icons
- Create and Share Reviews Using New Adobe CS Review
- SEO: Create Advanced Sitemaps with A1 Sitemap Generator
- 20+ Amazing Video Apps for Twitter
- WordPress: Custom CSS stylesheets for Posts or Pages
- 350+ Free eCommerce Icons for Web Design Projects
- Web Strategy: Get real-time comments built for the social web with Lifefyre
- What Does Google Wallet do for Mobile Marketing?
- Facebook vs. Google: How Marketers Can Learn Out Of the Recent Smear Campaign?
- Free iPad Vector GUI Elements for Adobe Illustrator
- Convert your Image To Vector Online For Free
- Icons: Free Social Media Icon Set With Bubbles
- Selected Free Wallpapers That Rock - Volume 1
- Styling Website Comments: Correct Markup and Free Examples
- 56 Free Vector Arrow Symbols & Icons
- Brilliant 3D Flash Image Slider For Websites
- 20 Amazing Mobile Friendly Tips and Tools for your Website
- 8 Heatmap Tools and Why / How to use them
- 28 Free Twitter Background PSD Templates
- 80 Free Mobile Device Icons Including BlackBerry Special
- 800+ Free HTML Newsletter Templates for Startups
- Free Hand Drawn Social Media Icon Set as Vector for Bloggers
- 11 Hot Tips and Tricks to Speed Up Wordpress
- 8 Free Brand Logo Download Websites You Should Know
- Free Premium-Like Theme: Keep It Simple
- How To Create A Webdesign Company Layout in Photoshop
- 10 Hot Facebook Plugins For Wordpress
- How To Build a Clean Modern Website Design From Scratch
- 35 Free Beautiful Japan Theme ICONS
- How To Add License Free Images To Any website - PicApp
- What’s better? Ruby on Rails vs. PHP
- Free Photoshop Case Templates For DVD, CD and Cassette
- 20 web-based business collaboration tools that lets make you breathless
- How To Create a Retro Wallpaper
- Introducing New RSS Generation - What is pubsubhubbub?
- Beautiful Image Captions with jQuery Captify Plugin
- 125 FREE Oldschool Pattern Swatches for Illustrator
- Semantic Wordpress - Automatic Semantic Metadata for Your Content
- Clever Flickr Open Source Flash Image Gallery For Your Website
- Impressive Ways to Present Your Portfolio or Media Files
- Mega Drop-Down Menu Inspiration
- 72 Questions to Ask New Web Design Clients
- 160+ Brilliant Web Design Templates & Tutorials
- Awesome Slideshow jQuery Plugin For Portfolios with SlideDeck
- How To Easily Move or Export Your Thunderbird Mails to Outlook
- Hot Trends and Insights On Web 3.0
- CSS Less: Extend CSS By Adding Variables, Mixins, Operations and Nested Rules
- Free iPhone Design Set for Photoshop
- Analyzing A Trademark Brand: Absolut Vodka
- Old eMail - New eMail: Google ReNews Email Communication
- Desktop Revolution - Intuitive 3D Desktop Enhancements
- Reduce Image File Sizes and Improve Performance in WordPress Automatically
- Small and Accessible News Slider in JQuery
- CSS Box Shadow And Text Shadow
This post will walk you through working with the css box-shadow and text-shadow properties for more realistic designs.
- Creative Resume
A creative infographic-style resume.
- 20 Top Quality Circle Brushes for Photoshop
20 Top Quality Circle Brushes for Photoshop. These brushes are most suitable for creating backgrounds.
- 30 Tutorials Teaching You How to Create Your Own Icons
An icon in any web design although is a small but very important and crucial element.
- Should You Be A Generalist Or Specialist
Both specialists and generalists have important roles to play. Each has its strengths and can contribute to the bottom line.
- 130+ Websites To Submit Your Design News | codeManiac - Snippets, Templates, API and the best developer content
[…] Knowtebook.com […]
- 15 Useful and Free Twitter Tools
Twitter goes on to put in an astonishing quantity of 460,000 users on a daily basis.
- 30 Cool and Creative 404 Error Pages
We presented several collections on cool and creative error pages in the past as well and this time,
- 20 Mind Melting Examples of Light Painting
Photographers utilize their knowledge of the different colors produced by various lights, and how they interplay with white balance settings. Light paint brushes can be as simple as a flash light, laser pen, old lantern, or even off-camera flash combined with colored gels.
- KP Design
Inspiration for all - photography, design, art, travels, and more!
- 30 Free Christmas Icon Sets for Designers
Christmas is just around the corner and this is the time when designers need loads of different resources and material to design Christmas related themes,
- web 2.0 templatesWeb 2.0 templates with simplicity, cleanliness, and elegance in design and the less number of columns and work great for all your needs and have all the great features of Web 2.0 technology.
- Jan Flora: Great introduction to the world of heatmapping :-) I would also suggest that you check out our brand new...
- Wilhelm Bogucki: it is not free, but quite good. Free trial version is available. Besides, they provide tech...
- boxboy: Trying it now. Thanks.
- Kenny JK: For signature i use Brandmymail ( http://www.brandmyma il.com ), which has full control over email...
- спортни стоки: That gives me ideas what to do with mine. :)
- Craig Farrall’s Blog
- CSS Built
- Design Inspiration
- Design Resources
- Design Tutorials
- Flash Mint Design Blog
- Free Photoshop Brushes
- Fuel Your Creativity
- Just Creative Design
- My Ink Blog
- Photoshop Girl Tutorials
- Tasarimini | Graphic Tools
- The most stylish websites
- Vector Pack
- Website templates
- Rank frequently used word on Websites
- Analyzing A Trademark Brand: Absolut Vodka
- 148 free beautiful vector graphics for web and print
- Inspirational Cross Cultural Webdesign - Volume #1: Asia
- How To Simplify Form Errors
- Analytics: Clicky features even more than Google analytics
- Organise Post Series About Certain Topics - Wordpress Plugin
- PHP: Mehrere Zufallsbilder ohne Wiederholung anzeigen