Facebook vs. Google: How Marketers Can Learn Out Of the Recent Smear Campaign?
Competition is inevitable no matter what area you specialize in. Considering how it can keep you sharp and focused on providing the best possible service, it may even be safe to say that a little competition is good for business. All companies must have a competitive nature in order to survive, but we have seen competition take on a whole new life in the saga of Facebook vs. Google, a war between two of the internet’s biggest players and one that seems to get uglier by the day.
By: Fletcher Thompson
Facebook Admits to Playing Dirty
While it is currently sitting high atop the social networking ladder, Facebook has also found itself in the middle of controversy due to its questionable approach toward stamping out the competition. In early May, a suspicious email made its way into the inboxes of several prolific journalists and bloggers. The message, which was sent out by Burson-Marsteller, pretty much slammed Google’s name in the mud, alleging that the search giant had committed a major violation of user privacy.
With the internet community buzzing and scrambling to figure out the mastermind behind the mysterious email, it wasn’t too long before Facebook came out and admitted that it hired the public relations firms to do its bidding. According to the social networking company, Google utilized Social Circle, a feature native to its Gmail webmail client, to steal personal user information from Facebook and other sites for inclusion. Though many are surprised that the social network came out and admitted that it was involved in what is now infamously known as the “Google smear campaign“, it seems as if it had no other choice after the evidence reportedly dug up by news outlet The Daily Beast.
Things Could Get Even Uglier
The collision course Facebook and Google find themselves on has been in the making for some time now. Theses two powerful entities are competitors in numerous areas, including social, search, and online advertising among others. While the so called smear campaign obviously marks the most intense episode of the war up to this point, some have been predicting an all out showdown from the moment Facebook outpaced MySpace as the number social network. With Google looking to enhance its social profile, Facebook doing business with Microsoft, and both companies gearing up to invade the daily deal market, it is probably fair to conclude that this war could get even uglier in the very near future.
Welcome to Cut Throat Island
In the business world, competition is all about survival, and if you need another lesson on just how cut throat it can become, you got it with the recent developments in the war between Facebook and Google. For marketers, it is a perfect example of how some competitors are willing to pull out all the stops, even if it means playing dirty. Take it as a lesson on the importance of staying on your toes and being able to respond promptly to adversity. Google is strong enough to shake off Facebook’s blow and return the favor. How about your business?
About the Author:
Fletcher is a best practices activist and advocate for leading Web and permission-based email marketing services.
Have something to say?
Write guest posts for KnowTeBook
If you’re a writer and know a lot about design, coding, …… or owning a small business, you can give great advices on branding, marketing, productivity, dealing with clients (and other related topics), or you can write ‘how-to’ posts, please get in contact with Sebastian.
WP Cumulus Flash tag cloud by Roy Tanck requires Flash Player 7 or better.
- iPhone App for Designer: Proportions Calculator by Erik
- Social Media: How to Create Automatic If This Then That Tasks
- UI Inspiration: A Showcase of Beautiful User Interfaces
- 10 Awesome And Creative Google+ Brand Pages
- Go Google: Socialize Your WordPress Blog without Using Plugins
- Seven Big Mistakes Of A Twitter Addict
- Combine Wordpress, PHPBB and 4Images together without multiple user-registrations
- 100+ Brilliant Free Go Green Eco Friendly Vector Graphics and Icons
- Create and Share Reviews Using New Adobe CS Review
- SEO: Create Advanced Sitemaps with A1 Sitemap Generator
- 20+ Amazing Video Apps for Twitter
- WordPress: Custom CSS stylesheets for Posts or Pages
- 350+ Free eCommerce Icons for Web Design Projects
- Web Strategy: Get real-time comments built for the social web with Lifefyre
- What Does Google Wallet do for Mobile Marketing?
- Free iPad Vector GUI Elements for Adobe Illustrator
- Facebook vs. Google: How Marketers Can Learn Out Of the Recent Smear Campaign?
- Icons: Free Social Media Icon Set With Bubbles
- Convert your Image To Vector Online For Free
- Styling Website Comments: Correct Markup and Free Examples
- Selected Free Wallpapers That Rock - Volume 1
- Brilliant 3D Flash Image Slider For Websites
- 28 Free Twitter Background PSD Templates
- 20 Amazing Mobile Friendly Tips and Tools for your Website
- 56 Free Vector Arrow Symbols & Icons
- 800+ Free HTML Newsletter Templates for Startups
- 8 Heatmap Tools and Why / How to use them
- 11 Hot Tips and Tricks to Speed Up Wordpress
- Clever Flickr Open Source Flash Image Gallery For Your Website
- How To Create A Webdesign Company Layout in Photoshop
- 80 Free Mobile Device Icons Including BlackBerry Special
- Free Hand Drawn Social Media Icon Set as Vector for Bloggers
- 8 Free Brand Logo Download Websites You Should Know
- 10 Hot Facebook Plugins For Wordpress
- How To Build a Clean Modern Website Design From Scratch
- 20 web-based business collaboration tools that lets make you breathless
- Free Premium-Like Theme: Keep It Simple
- Beautiful Image Captions with jQuery Captify Plugin
- Introducing New RSS Generation - What is pubsubhubbub?
- How To Add License Free Images To Any website - PicApp
- What’s better? Ruby on Rails vs. PHP
- 125 FREE Oldschool Pattern Swatches for Illustrator
- 35 Free Beautiful Japan Theme ICONS
- Semantic Wordpress - Automatic Semantic Metadata for Your Content
- Free Photoshop Case Templates For DVD, CD and Cassette
- How To Create a Retro Wallpaper
- Impressive Ways to Present Your Portfolio or Media Files
- 72 Questions to Ask New Web Design Clients
- Awesome Slideshow jQuery Plugin For Portfolios with SlideDeck
- Mega Drop-Down Menu Inspiration
- Desktop Revolution - Intuitive 3D Desktop Enhancements
- 160+ Brilliant Web Design Templates & Tutorials
- CSS Less: Extend CSS By Adding Variables, Mixins, Operations and Nested Rules
- How To Easily Move or Export Your Thunderbird Mails to Outlook
- Reduce Image File Sizes and Improve Performance in WordPress Automatically
- Free iPhone Design Set for Photoshop
- Hot Trends and Insights On Web 3.0
- Use A Body ID To Style Your Website In CSS
- Small and Accessible News Slider in JQuery
- Old eMail - New eMail: Google ReNews Email Communication
- 30+ Best Responsive WordPress Restaurant & Cafe Themes
By using a professional and beautiful restaurant theme, you can make a simple website into a restaurant and attract visitors at the first sight. Here is a collection of 30+ Best Responsive WordPress Restaurant & Cafe Themes. These cafe and restaurant WordPress themes are very popular to create restaurant or cafe related websites in WordPress. We’re sure, you’ll like what you see.
- Best jQuery Plugins of the Week [2nd February-8th February]
- Should You Be A Generalist Or Specialist
Both specialists and generalists have important roles to play. Each has its strengths and can contribute to the bottom line.
- 130+ Websites To Submit Your Design News | codeManiac - Snippets, Templates, API and the best developer content
[…] Knowtebook.com […]
- 15 Useful and Free Twitter Tools
Twitter goes on to put in an astonishing quantity of 460,000 users on a daily basis.
- 30 Cool and Creative 404 Error Pages
We presented several collections on cool and creative error pages in the past as well and this time,
- 20 Mind Melting Examples of Light Painting
Photographers utilize their knowledge of the different colors produced by various lights, and how they interplay with white balance settings. Light paint brushes can be as simple as a flash light, laser pen, old lantern, or even off-camera flash combined with colored gels.
- KP Design
Inspiration for all - photography, design, art, travels, and more!
- 30 Free Christmas Icon Sets for Designers
Christmas is just around the corner and this is the time when designers need loads of different resources and material to design Christmas related themes,
- Domain Name Selection: How to choose the best
To have an appropriate domain name is always the cause of worry for most website owners, the reason being, it is the primary step to ensure the success of a website or an online business. But there are several other benefits of having a right domain name such as it helps in effective marketing, branding, attracting visitors, building credibility, etc.
- 60 Remarkable Examples Of Typography Design #6
It’s been a really long time since we did our last installment series of “Remarkable Examples Of Typography Design.” To be precise, the last post was way back in June, 2011. Christmas is right around the corner and many designers are using their creativity at a maximum expense.
- web 2.0 templatesWeb 2.0 templates with simplicity, cleanliness, and elegance in design and the less number of columns and work great for all your needs and have all the great features of Web 2.0 technology.
- Kenny JK: For signature i use Brandmymail ( http://www.brandmyma il.com ), which has full control over email...
- спортни стоки: That gives me ideas what to do with mine. :)
- BestBit: Very interesting free tool, but if you have a big site, with more than 500 pages, you have to pay for it.
- andrew: cool
- Randy: I am thinking of using Lifefyre but maybe for now, I’ll use Disqus. I have a friend from peak...
- Craig Farrall’s Blog
- CSS Built
- Design Inspiration
- Design Resources
- Design Tutorials
- Flash Mint Design Blog
- Free Photoshop Brushes
- Fuel Your Creativity
- Just Creative Design
- My Ink Blog
- Photoshop Girl Tutorials
- Tasarimini | Graphic Tools
- The most stylish websites
- Vector Pack
- Website templates
- Free Online PDF and HTML Document Conversion Tool
- .htaccess Generator
- Webdesign: Web 2.0 Layer Styles für Photoshop
- How To Make Wordpress An CMS With Different Post Types
- Adsense Alternative Microsoft Adcenter With Better Ad Customization
- Webentwicklung: Lange Links kurz und lesbar machen
- 12 Free Hand Drawn Social Media Icons