Facebook vs. Google: How Marketers Can Learn Out Of the Recent Smear Campaign?
Competition is inevitable no matter what area you specialize in. Considering how it can keep you sharp and focused on providing the best possible service, it may even be safe to say that a little competition is good for business. All companies must have a competitive nature in order to survive, but we have seen competition take on a whole new life in the saga of Facebook vs. Google, a war between two of the internet’s biggest players and one that seems to get uglier by the day.
By: Fletcher Thompson
Facebook Admits to Playing Dirty
While it is currently sitting high atop the social networking ladder, Facebook has also found itself in the middle of controversy due to its questionable approach toward stamping out the competition. In early May, a suspicious email made its way into the inboxes of several prolific journalists and bloggers. The message, which was sent out by Burson-Marsteller, pretty much slammed Google’s name in the mud, alleging that the search giant had committed a major violation of user privacy.
With the internet community buzzing and scrambling to figure out the mastermind behind the mysterious email, it wasn’t too long before Facebook came out and admitted that it hired the public relations firms to do its bidding. According to the social networking company, Google utilized Social Circle, a feature native to its Gmail webmail client, to steal personal user information from Facebook and other sites for inclusion. Though many are surprised that the social network came out and admitted that it was involved in what is now infamously known as the “Google smear campaign“, it seems as if it had no other choice after the evidence reportedly dug up by news outlet The Daily Beast.
Things Could Get Even Uglier
The collision course Facebook and Google find themselves on has been in the making for some time now. Theses two powerful entities are competitors in numerous areas, including social, search, and online advertising among others. While the so called smear campaign obviously marks the most intense episode of the war up to this point, some have been predicting an all out showdown from the moment Facebook outpaced MySpace as the number social network. With Google looking to enhance its social profile, Facebook doing business with Microsoft, and both companies gearing up to invade the daily deal market, it is probably fair to conclude that this war could get even uglier in the very near future.
Welcome to Cut Throat Island
In the business world, competition is all about survival, and if you need another lesson on just how cut throat it can become, you got it with the recent developments in the war between Facebook and Google. For marketers, it is a perfect example of how some competitors are willing to pull out all the stops, even if it means playing dirty. Take it as a lesson on the importance of staying on your toes and being able to respond promptly to adversity. Google is strong enough to shake off Facebook’s blow and return the favor. How about your business?
About the Author:
Fletcher is a best practices activist and advocate for leading Web and permission-based email marketing services.
Have something to say?
Write guest posts for KnowTeBook
If you’re a writer and know a lot about design, coding, …… or owning a small business, you can give great advices on branding, marketing, productivity, dealing with clients (and other related topics), or you can write ‘how-to’ posts, please get in contact with Sebastian.
Share the loveBTW: Good Quality Brochures Online Color Printing at PsPrint.
Spread this KnowTeDigg Del.icio.us Stumble Facebook Float Technorati Bump
WP Cumulus Flash tag cloud by Roy Tanck requires Flash Player 7 or better.
- iPhone App for Designer: Proportions Calculator by Erik
- Social Media: How to Create Automatic If This Then That Tasks
- UI Inspiration: A Showcase of Beautiful User Interfaces
- 10 Awesome And Creative Google+ Brand Pages
- Go Google: Socialize Your WordPress Blog without Using Plugins
- Seven Big Mistakes Of A Twitter Addict
- Combine Wordpress, PHPBB and 4Images together without multiple user-registrations
- SEO: Create Advanced Sitemaps with A1 Sitemap Generator
- Create and Share Reviews Using New Adobe CS Review
- 100+ Brilliant Free Go Green Eco Friendly Vector Graphics and Icons
- 20+ Amazing Video Apps for Twitter
- WordPress: Custom CSS stylesheets for Posts or Pages
- Web Strategy: Get real-time comments built for the social web with Lifefyre
- What Does Google Wallet do for Mobile Marketing?
- 350+ Free eCommerce Icons for Web Design Projects
- Facebook vs. Google: How Marketers Can Learn Out Of the Recent Smear Campaign?
- Convert your Image To Vector Online For Free
- Free iPad Vector GUI Elements for Adobe Illustrator
- Selected Free Wallpapers That Rock - Volume 1
- Icons: Free Social Media Icon Set With Bubbles
- 56 Free Vector Arrow Symbols & Icons
- Styling Website Comments: Correct Markup and Free Examples
- 80 Free Mobile Device Icons Including BlackBerry Special
- Brilliant 3D Flash Image Slider For Websites
- 20 Amazing Mobile Friendly Tips and Tools for your Website
- 8 Heatmap Tools and Why / How to use them
- Free Hand Drawn Social Media Icon Set as Vector for Bloggers
- 28 Free Twitter Background PSD Templates
- Free Premium-Like Theme: Keep It Simple
- 8 Free Brand Logo Download Websites You Should Know
- 800+ Free HTML Newsletter Templates for Startups
- 11 Hot Tips and Tricks to Speed Up Wordpress
- How To Create A Webdesign Company Layout in Photoshop
- 10 Hot Facebook Plugins For Wordpress
- How To Build a Clean Modern Website Design From Scratch
- How To Create a Retro Wallpaper
- 35 Free Beautiful Japan Theme ICONS
- Free Photoshop Case Templates For DVD, CD and Cassette
- How To Add License Free Images To Any website - PicApp
- Introducing New RSS Generation - What is pubsubhubbub?
- 125 FREE Oldschool Pattern Swatches for Illustrator
- What’s better? Ruby on Rails vs. PHP
- Impressive Ways to Present Your Portfolio or Media Files
- Beautiful Image Captions with jQuery Captify Plugin
- Semantic Wordpress - Automatic Semantic Metadata for Your Content
- Mega Drop-Down Menu Inspiration
- 20 web-based business collaboration tools that lets make you breathless
- 160+ Brilliant Web Design Templates & Tutorials
- 72 Questions to Ask New Web Design Clients
- Awesome Slideshow jQuery Plugin For Portfolios with SlideDeck
- How To Easily Move or Export Your Thunderbird Mails to Outlook
- Hot Trends and Insights On Web 3.0
- Analyzing A Trademark Brand: Absolut Vodka
- CSS Less: Extend CSS By Adding Variables, Mixins, Operations and Nested Rules
- Free iPhone Design Set for Photoshop
- Old eMail - New eMail: Google ReNews Email Communication
- Desktop Revolution - Intuitive 3D Desktop Enhancements
- Reduce Image File Sizes and Improve Performance in WordPress Automatically
- GIVEAWAY WINNERS - 3 x Fanurio Time Tracking License
- Small and Accessible News Slider in JQuery
- Photographers: Top 10 Sites To Showcase Your Work
Pixpa is a portfolio building site that allows photographers to create amazing and elegant portfolios to show off their works. It provides you with hundreds of pre-designed templates to choose and you can select the one that best fits your needs in just a single click.
- Showcase of Inspirational iOS 7 Concepts
Today we are going to showcase adorable redesigns of iOS 7 icons, lock screens, control centers as well check out various polished app interfaces that were inspired by Apple’s new aesthetics. Source: http://designmodo.com/ios7-concepts/#ixzz2ZJT0tHT3
- 12 Amazing American Flag Designs
Since May is almost over and we’re about to embrace one of the most beautiful summer months, June, I decide to talk to you about one of the most important holidays that will take place then. Yes, your guess is correct. I’m talking about Flag Day, which takes place every year, on June 14. On this special day, Americans not only celebrate the adoption of the United States flag, but also the Army Birthday.
- How To Generate CSS Click Events
- 30+ Awesome Responsive Web Design Examples
The colossal growth in the number of mobile internet users has lead to the emergence of the concept of responsive websites so that the potential clients can browse through different websites from gadgets like tablets or smart phones along with the traditional desktops and laptops. It is basically a technique whereby the webpage(s) will be designed in such a way so that it is compatible with the screen resolution of the different kinds of device, thereby enabling the prospective clients to shop, read and play online games on the go.
- 40 Premium Responsive WordPress Themes
Ever been overwhelmed with your workload and concerned about meeting a project deadline? If you’ve been a reader of Designrfix for a while now you know we feature the best the web has to offer and typically it’s for free. While we always want to save you a buck, sometimes there are some design elements that we do think are worth paying for…for example; graphic artwork, vector artwork, 3D models and WordPress themes just to name a few.Ever been overwhelmed with your workload and concerned about meeting a project deadline? If you’ve been a reader of Designrfix for a while now you know we feature the best the web has to offer and typically it’s for free. While we always want to save you a buck, sometimes there are some design elements that we do think are worth paying for…for example; graphic artwork, vector artwork, 3D models and WordPress themes just to name a few.
- 20 HTML5 jQuery And CSS3 Tutorials
With the help of CSS3 and HTML5, designers can take their designs to the levels as both of these languages are capable of creating so many beautiful things.
- 25 Great Photoshop CS6 Tutorials To Get You Started In 2013
Once or twice a week I like to come up with articles that really expose my viewers to the various types of tutorials that they need to get their latest design projects off the ground. In this post, you’ll find everything from Creating a Man of Steel Symbol in Illustrator and Photoshop to Painting a multi-layered surreal portrait . If you are looking for a great source of inspiration, this compilation of Adobe Photoshop CS6 tutorials is a must see. So what are you waiting for…why not try one out?
- Does Your Language Alter Your Thinking
Is language the dress of thought? Or does the language we speak come first and impact what we think?
- CSS Box Shadow And Text Shadow
This post will walk you through working with the css box-shadow and text-shadow properties for more realistic designs.
- Creative Resume
A creative infographic-style resume.
- web 2.0 templatesWeb 2.0 templates with simplicity, cleanliness, and elegance in design and the less number of columns and work great for all your needs and have all the great features of Web 2.0 technology.
- Jan Flora: Great introduction to the world of heatmapping :-) I would also suggest that you check out our brand new...
- Wilhelm Bogucki: it is not free, but quite good. Free trial version is available. Besides, they provide tech...
- boxboy: Trying it now. Thanks.
- Kenny JK: For signature i use Brandmymail ( http://www.brandmyma il.com ), which has full control over email...
- спортни стоки: That gives me ideas what to do with mine. :)
- Craig Farrall’s Blog
- CSS Built
- Design Inspiration
- Design Resources
- Design Tutorials
- Flash Mint Design Blog
- Free Photoshop Brushes
- Fuel Your Creativity
- Just Creative Design
- My Ink Blog
- Photoshop Girl Tutorials
- Tasarimini | Graphic Tools
- The most stylish websites
- Vector Pack
- Website templates
- Knob Buttons Toolbar icons
- DIALing - Kostenlose SMS
- Change Your Perspective - Blind Art Inspiration
- 80 Free Mobile Device Icons Including BlackBerry Special
- Framework Directory For Webdeveloper And Webdesigner
- How To Promote Your Posts in 10 Minutes to 1 Mio People
- Free Premium-Like Theme: Keep It Simple
- Usability: Benutzerfreundliche Bestätigungsemails